s0cIAl mEdIA:sIftEd


This is a follow up to my last post on Social Media.  Here is what I am doing to reducing my Social Media *Noise*:
Reduce Tumblr accounts from 3 to 1 with the one being focused on tech and tech trends I find interesting.
Settled on Google+ as my photo storage/sharing site, bye bye Flickr...
Settled on usage of Facebook Pages for sharing Leadership links/videos I like.
No longer triple or quadruple posting content.

This is the start.

Am I finished the trimming? Probably never will be.
I am considering hacking down my following list on Twitter as well as actually only having my "friends" on facebook instead of the thousand or so people currently on there many of whom I have NO CLUE who they are.

The other thing I have to settle on is what content goes on which platform.
Think of settled on the following general guidelines:
REALLY personal stuff goes on Facebook.
Twitter is still a bit mashed with a combo of tech/work/personal.
LinkedIn is ALL business.
Google+. I love you but what are you? Still trying to figure this beast out and what role it plays.
Tumblr gets all the reposts of my fav Tech articles.
Facebook Pages gets all of my fav posts on leadership and communication.

How about you? What have you done to reduce your SM Noise? Anything? Do you even care?

Comments

  1. I have reduced some.....especially things I don't agree with or support! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, curious what you don't "agree with" or "support" re SM?

      Delete
  2. I agree with this Jordan. I like the idea of compartmentalizing (LinkedIn for business, Facebook for real friends and family, etc.) and I was actually working to implement this. Then came Empire Avenue. How do you balance the need to streamline your social media presence and the pressure (from the game) to post content and connect in these different platforms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read my previous post Social Media: Game vs Substance? That explains some of my response. In a nutshell, at the beginning I was like a crack addict. I would create content like a fiend JUST to get a rise in the share price. My obsessive OCD nature was betraying me!! Over time I have realized that my behaviour was A) unsustainable B) annoying and most importantly C) Not Providing REAL value!! I want to create content that REALLY matters. I want people to want to read what I have to say, just like I want to be connected to people who I really want to read what they have to say. This endless RT'ing and multiposting of the same content everywhere, and telling me you're the Mayor of blah blah blah drives me CRAZY! Create content that matters. If you do eventually it will show up in your share price. Pump your price artificially with a flood of activity and it will eventually crash on you as you can't sustain it, and ppl will stick with real value and abandon the rest over time. My 2 cents... Comments?

      Delete
    2. You can say that again about being unsustainable and annoying to people. I've done almost nothing else but social media these past three weeks and the result on the share price is spectacular, but I'm at the end of the line, I need to slow down, and get back to work or all these will just come crashing down on me. About being annoying, I was forced about a week ago to open a second profile on FB (for business, EAv contacts), my real life friends and relatives were complaining about the torrent of activities and posts that they couldn't relate to.

      Delete
    3. I've only focussed on facebook, twitter and linkedin - until empire avenue came along and really introduced me to the wide variety of other media. Those three remain my primary focus - I have FB linked to twitter, twitter to linkedin and my blog to Fb business page. Linkedin is my professional link, FB is mostly personal and twitter my dabbling in social media linkages (that has been an interesting exercise). Just my tuppence worth.

      Delete
    4. We mostly like Twitter and LinkedIn but we've also been blogging more lately, adding e-commerce tips, tricks and how-to's for our 3dCart customers. Mostly we focus on making relevant posts that we think will be helpful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts